Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cover Love #16


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope your day is full of family, friends, and food. I considered going in theme with this week's Cover Love pick, but this particular cover was just too wowza to be ignored.


Ida Mae Jones dreams of flight. Her daddy was a pilot and being black didn't stop him from fulfilling his dreams. But her daddy's gone now, and being a woman, and being black, are two strikes against her.

When America enters the war with Germany and Japan, the Army creates the WASP, the Women's Airforce Service Pilots - and Ida suddenly sees a way to fly as well as do something significant to help her brother stationed in the Pacific. But even the WASP won't accept her as a black woman, forcing Ida Mae to make a difficult choice of "passing," of pretending to be white to be accepted into the program. Hiding one's racial heritage, denying one's family, denying one's self is a heavy burden. And while Ida Mae chases her dream, she must also decide who it is she really wants to be.
I heart this cover. Like my last Cover Love post, it's beautiful for its simplicity. Take one off-white background, one striking protagonist, one flight squadron, and one awesome typeface, and you have sheer beauty.

Though Ida Mae is American (and mixed race!), this cover makes me think of Maddie from Code Name Verity, which can only ever be a positive. I love that the model is pretty but isn't all "This is me in my tight aviator jeans as I swish my long flowing hair suggestively." And no pretty dress in sight!  Instead, she's calm and cool, dressed for flight, for war. However, am I allowed to say she looked less white? I know that's the point of her deception, but can't the designers let her own her genetics just a itty-bitty bit?

I can't even begin to express the amount of love I have for those plane outlines. They look like the kind of outlines you find on charts explaining the differences between different types of aircrafts, but they also look like they're charging directly over Ida Mae's head toward the front lines.

And the title font! It's styled after the stenciled lettering they use to stamp supply boxes for the military. LOVE!


What covers do YOU love this week?